Smoked Bacon Bombs
I use onions A LOT in my recipes. They just work for so many different things. Sadly, I married an onion hater, or more specifically, an "if I can tell there are onions in it I don't like it" hater. So I've gotten pretty good at disguising the onions I so often use. Thankfully, there is no need with this recipe! Yes, Onions are the main and pretty much only ingredient, BUT they are sweet, smokey, and packed with so much amazing cheese and bacon flavor, that onions are about to become your favorite vegetable.
3 Sweet Yellow Onions
1C Beef Stock
4T Motreal Seasoning
5oz Sliced Gruyere cheese
1T parsley, chopped
6 Slices of pepper crusted bacon
1. Cut the tops and bottoms off of each onion so that they can stand up on their own.
2. Use a spoon to hollow out a "well" in each onion. You'll be removing several of the inner layers. Do NOT scoop out to the bottom!! You have to have a cheese basin. (are there any 2 words that sound better together?)
3. Wrap 2 slices of bacon around each onion and secure them with toothpicks.
4. Brush each wrapped onion with EVOO and rub with 3T of the montreal seasoning
5. Combine beef stock, whiskey, and 1T montreal seasoning. Fill each onion 2/3 of the way full. Reserve the rest for basting. Be sure to baste onions every 10 minutes while they smoke!
6. Set smoker to smoke with the lid open until the fire is well established. Turn to (250F)
and smoke the onions for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
7.Turn the heat up to (400F) and fill the onions with cheese, (spread some across the top too, why not?) cook for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
I served these alongside tri tip and they were a serious HIT! I would plan on about 1/2 an onion per person. Not to mention my husband says the leftovers are even better the next day, so there's that to look forward to too! You're welcome in advance.