Not Your Moms Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe was inspired by Wolfgang Pucks Chicken pot pie recipe. I really loved the idea of puff pastry as a top as apposed to traditional pie Crust. What really makes this dish though is the glaze on top! Really takes it to that next level.
2 Lb Shredded Smoked Chicken
3T Flour Divided
3T Vegetable oil, divided
2 Russet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1C Carrot, chopped
1C Cellery, chopped
1medium onion, diced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Bunch Fresh Thyme
1C Amber Ale
2C + 1/3C Chicken Stock
1C + 1T Heavy Whipping Cream, divided
1C Frozen Peas
1Pkg Frozen Puff Pastry
3T Smoked honey
1. Toss the chicken in 2T flour, and brown in a large skillet with 2T oil. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. In the same Skillet, on medium heat, add the last Tablespoon oil, 2T butter and Onions. Cook for about 5-6 minutes until onions are caramelized. Add potatoes, carrots, and celery and cook for about 3 minutes until shiny and fragrant. Stir in garlic, and the leaves of 2 thyme springs. Sautee and additional 2 minutes.
3. Add the amber ale, and turn the heat to high. Scrape the bottom of the pot while you stir to remove any caramelized pieces. Simmer about 3 minutes. Add the 2C chicken stock and 1C heavy cream. Bring to a boil and reduce by half. (YES HALF)
4. Stir in the chicken and peas. Salt and Pepper GENEROUSLY. Mash the 2T butter with 1T flour and stir that into the mixture.
5. Roll out the puff pastry using a floured surface. Cut rounds slightly larger than the tops of the ramekins, so the pastry will hang over the sides slightly.
6. Ladle chicken mixture into individual ramekins and cover in the puff pastry rounds.
7. Mix the egg with 1T heavy cream and brush it onto the tops of the puff pastry. Use a knife to cut 4 "vents" into the tops.
8. Preheat oven to (400F) and place the ramekins onto a cookie sheet. Cook for 30 minutes or until the crusts are a deep brown.
9. While the pies cook, combine Honey, 5-6 Thyme sprigs, and 1/3C chicken Stock in a small saucepan on medium heat. Reduce the sauce to about 2/3.
10. After removing the pot pies form the oven, brush each one with the honey thyme glaze. Let cool about 10 minutes before serving, so glaze can set. Garnish with thyme springs.