Butternut Squash Soup with Cinnamon toast points, Cream and Pomegranate
I LOVE this recipe! Its adapted from the recipe created by the blogger "a bountiful kitchen" and it is SO easy! not to mention, its sweetened with only an APPLE! I know. The toast points add a little more sweetness and the pomegranates add some gorgeous color and a festive crunch.
6C Butternut squash ( about 1 medium squash, cubed)
1t Salt and Pepper (each)
1 Medium Gala apple, cubed
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
32oz Chicken stock
1C +3T Heavy whipping cream
2-3 Sliced thick cut white bread
1/2C Pomegranate seeds
2T Cinnamon/sugar mix
1. Toss the cubed squash in the evoo and about 1/3 of the S&P and lay in a single layer on a sheetpan.
2 smoke at (400F) or about 20 minutes or until the squash is almost tender, and smoky
3. Scoop the squash into a large pot and add the butter, onions, garlic and apple. Sautee until fragrant.
4. add 2C of broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Cover 5 minutes until the squash is fully tender and very soft.
5. Add the remaining 2C of broth and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and use an immersion blended to combine all the ingredients until smooth.
7. add the remaining S&P and 1C Heavy whipping cream and combine well. Cover until you serve it.
8. toast the slices of bread, brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mix. Cut of thr crusts and slice into 4 triangles.
9. ladle the soup into individual bowls. drizzle a spoonful of cream over the top and add some pomegranate seeds to the center. Place 2 toast points on the edge right before serving.
Perfect fall soup!