Personally I think Bone Marrow is very underappreciated in the world of BBQ. Its incredibly rich and full flavored and makes an incredible appetizer (or entree if your feeling crazy).
Serve it up with some quality toast points or crackers that you love. Bone Marrow sounds intimidating, but once you try it you'll be hooked. Not to mention its insanely impressive looking.
2 Marrow Bones sliced lengthwise (ask your butcher!)
1 Large Shallot, sliced thin
1C Panko Bread Crumbs
1t Fresh Lemon Juice
1T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Slices Bread, toasted and cut into triangles
1t Flake Salt
1/2t Fresh Pepper
1. Preheat smoker to (400F)
2. Cover the Marrow tops in the Flake Salt and Pepper and place directly onto grill grates for about 20 minutes.
3. While the bones are smoking, combine sliced shallots and butter and saute until fragrant and browned slightly (about 10 minutes)
4. Combine the bread crumbs, lemon juice, and evoo. The Bread crumbs should be moistened and shiny but still very crunchy.
5. After the bones have smoked for about 15 minutes (they will have browned but still not look done) top them with the Shallots first, then the breadcrumbs and smoke an additional 5 minutes until crumbs have browned.
6. Remove from the grill carefully and serve immediately with toast points and a small spoon.