Smoked Flamin' Hot Cheeto Spatchcocked Chicken
YES, you read that right. Get your munchie fix and lean protein at the same time! If you're not in love with the "Flamin' Hot" variety, feel to use the original flavor. If you're not in love with the original flavor, feel free to to take a long, hard look at your life to reevaluate your decisions. The only question is, why did it take me so long to think of this recipe?
1 Medium size Fryer Chicken
1/4 - 1/2C Butter,softened (depending on size of bird
1 bag Flamin Hot Cheetos Limon (9oz) , crumbs (I use a food processor but I'm sure a rolling pin would be fine!)
Cooking Spray ( butter or olive oil flavor)
1T Chicken Rub (I used "Dirty Bird" from Kosmos.Q
1. Preheat Smoker to (400F). Use a mild wood like apple or cherry.
2. Spatchcock the chicken. (First use kitchen shears to remove the spine. Then lay the bird breast side up on a cutting board. Use your palm to press down on the breastbone until it breaks. Yes, this seems very violent, but I promise its way easier than it sounds!)
3. Use your fingers to separate the skin from the meat and form "pockets" between the skin on the breast meat and thighs. Fill the pockets with a thin layer of about half of the softened butter, and spread the rest on the entire top of the bird.
4. Sprinkle both sides of the bird lightly with the rub, then carefully place the bird, breast side up, directly on the grates.
5. Grill the bird about 3/4 of the way done, or until the internal temperature reads about (120F)
6. Bring the Chicken inside and place onto a large cookie sheet. (DO NOT TASTE IT! ITS NOT COOKED YET) Spray the top of the bird liberally with the olive oil cooking spray, and press the Cheeto crumbs into a thin crust on top. Cover as much of the chicken as you can without the crumbs falling off.
*OPTIONAL* (you can also cover the bottom of the
chicken in crumbs, but be ready for a very messy drip tray. Either use foil, or just dust the bottom)
7. Very Careful not to let the crumb coat fall off of the chicken, return it to the smoker grates and cook for an addition 15 minutes or until the internal temp reads (165F) Very carefully remove chicken from the grill and Serve Immediately! Be the most popular kid in town. You're welcome.