This is an insanely gorgeous twist on ratatouille, and one of my very favorite side dishes ever. You can make it in the oven as well!
2 Medium Zucchinis, sliced THIN
2 Medium Squash, sliced THIN
3 Roma Tomatoes sliced THIN
1/2 Yellow onion, sliced THIN
1/2 C Favorite Tomato Sauce
3T + an additional 3T EVOO, separated
1T Lemon zest
1 Garlic Clove, minced
S&P to taste
*Use a mandolin to slice if you have one, it makes all the difference*
1. Keep the vegetables separated in 4 different bowls. Toss both the zucchini and the squash in EVOO and salt and pepper to taste. (Do not combine)
2. Spread the tomato sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Using the Zucchini first, layer the slices around the outside of the dish. Keeping the sliced as upright as possible. Continue with the Tomato, then Squash, then onion, and repeat until everything is used. I made a tomato flower fr the center of mine, but sky is the limit!
3. Combine the other 3T EVOO, Lemon Zest, Garlic, and S&P. Brush the mixture over the veggies evenly.
4. Set smoker to (350F) (I used Pecan Pellets)
5. Grill for 30-40 minutes until the veggies are softened, and the edges are caramelized. Serve immediately.
This dish is also great with some parm cheese sprinkled over the top! Enjoy!