Smoked Mac N Cheese is amazing, but add a Whiskey and Sharp Cheddar Sauce and you have a full blown addictive substance. Sign me up and send me to rehab. Recipe adapted from Treager Grills.
5 Qt. Water
2 Lb Macaroni Noodles
9T Salted Butter
1t Grainy Mustard
1 3/4C Whole Milk
5-6C Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. Combine the water and salt in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until just underdone (less done than al dente).
2. In a separate pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the mustard and slowly add the flour while whisking constantly. Continue whisking for 1-2 minutes until mixture is a smooth blonde color.
3. Slowly mix the milk into the roux with a whisk and stir until thickened and all lumps are gone. Add the whiskey and turn the heat to low.
4. Stir the cheese into the milk mixture one cup at a time. Let all the cheese melt before adding the next cup. Depending on how thick you want it you can add more cheese to thicken it up, or more milk to thin it out. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pour into a greased casserole dish and top with more cheese and whiskey salt.
6. Place in a smoker set to (350F) for 45 minutes. The cheese will be bubbly and slighly browned. If youre so inclined serve with more whisky.